The Fundamentals of Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy for Mental Health
4 Part Online Training: How the Re-introduction of Psychedelics Will Affect the Treatment Paradigm of Mental Health in Australia
What is this training program?
This is a 4-part online training program on the Fundamentals of Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies.
The course is designed to educate a broad range of medical and mental health professionals, those with lived experience and consumers on the science and clinical use of psychedelics.
This course will help you to stay on the cutting edge of these transformational treatments, and help you understand how these medicines will affect your practice, patience, families and communities.
Why did we create it?
Mind Medicine Institute is an independent training and consultancy organisation dedicated to the development of leading edge clinical training in a wide range of areas connected to mental health. Mind Medicine Institute (MMI) has emerged from the charitable work of Mind Medicine Australia and is dedicated to supporting the betterment of humanity through helping individual minds heal.
MMI is in partnership with world renowned experts and leading thinkers in the mental health field to develop and offer trainings at the forefront of clinical practice. We offer trainings locally and internationally to clinicians who are dedicated to exploring new frontiers in best practice.
Among its offerings MMI has developed the first systematic clinical training for mental health professionals in psychedelic-assisted therapy in the Asia Pacific. The MMI Certificate in Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy (CPAT) has been described as the best clinical training in the world on ABC Radio National by Professor David Nutt of Imperial College London.
Our strategic objectives include educating clinicians, therapists, general practitioners and a range of health-related professions on the impact that psychedelic medicine can — and will — eventually have in shifting the mental health paradigm.
The last few years has seen a significant resurgence of research into Psychedelics as a means of assisting the treatment of mental illness.
This has gone from fringe and underground, to being researched by top-tier educational institutions all over the world, with highly promising data leading to calls for legalisation of these treatments in many jurisdictions.
We believe that all health professionals should have a working understanding of the fundamentals of psychedelic-assisted medicine so as to accelerate the legalisation and ensure high standards of care.
Who is it for?
The following categories of people will find great value in this program:
- General Practitioners
- Addiction, Emergency, Cancer, Palliative Care and Other Specialists
- Social Workers
- Occupational Therapists
- Art Therapists and other Healers
- Students in the fields of mental health
- Health System Regulators
- Mental Health Patients and their Families interested in learning more about these therapies
- Other parties with an interest in developing a better mental health system
Nikki Knighton, Occupational Therapist, Victoria
“This is drawing together so many threads of study and experience for me. I have appreciated your acknowledgement of the importance of establishing an understanding and familiarity with the experience of grounded-ness as a foundation for an altered-states experience so that it can be fully integrated in a helpful way.”
“I've learnt so much from the first 3 weeks of this course, and I really appreciate the recordings to be able to take the time to re-listen to the Q&A. I particularly loved the summary in week 1 touching on Ram Dass' meditative stabilization techniques, and not seeing psychedelics as a 'cure all', but rather as a missing link for the community.”
Dan Mat, Disability Support Worker, WA
“Absolutely sensational thank you so much. Brilliant to get a glimpse into integration. Amazing!”
Executive Summary of Learning Outcomes
- The science behind how psychedelics affect consciousness, and the how non-ordinary state-based therapies can let your clients achieve faster deeper, longer-lasting healing
- The historical context of how psychedelic substances were first synthesised and why they were banned for general use
- Specifically, how these substances are used to assist psychotherapy in a practical context
- The psycho-biological model of consciousness and how it will create a paradigm shift for all therapists when it eventually becomes mainstream
- How psychedelics can assist your clients in transcending their narrative self and overcome limiting beliefs and compulsive thought patterns
- What to expect in the integration phase, and how to coach your clients through the shift in value system that can disorient them if not managed correctly
- Why traditional therapeutic approaches struggle to address underlying trauma, and why altered state-based approaches to therapy will be the gold standard of healing
- The little known role of psychedelics in human evolution
- The current legal environment in Australia and how Mind Medicine Institute is advancing the field to ensure these treatments are accessible and available to those who are suffering
Week 1: The Science and History of Psychedelic Medicine
Week 2: Theory of Mind & Altered State Based Therapy
Week 3: Frameworks For Integrating the Transcendent Experience
Week 4: The Future of Psychedelic Medicine and Paradigm Shift
How and When Will This Course Take Place?
This course is available on demand as a self-paced study program.
You can enrol now and begin within minutes.Enrol now
About Your Instructors:
Your instructors for this training program are Dr Tra-ill Dowie and Nigel Denning. They are leaders in their field and have decades of experience in teaching and clinical work. They have successfully managed to integrate the best practices from Eastern tradition into the Western scientific paradigm.
Dr Tra-ill Dowie
Dr Tra-ill Dowie holds dual PhDs in Psychiatry and Philosophy from Monash and Melbourne University respectively. He is a Chair of the Australian Counselling Institute and Head of Faculty of Ikon Institute Australia. Dr. Dowie brings an interdisciplinary approach to treating the human condition, that has taken him all over the globe. He has been mentored by the world's foremost experts in altered state based therapies.
Tra-ill's frameworks for understanding the true nature of "mind" are bridging the gap between 'partial paradigms' and bringing a unified approach to treating mental health.
Mr. Nigel Denning
Mr. Nigel Denning is the Director of the Integrative Psychology Clinic, and a pioneer in the domain of altered states therapy and psychedelic medicine. Nigel Denning has studied in Australia and overseas with many of the leaders in psychological research and is himself a pioneer in holotropic breath work, having worked with Stanislav Grof at the Esalen Institute in the United States.
Nigel's interdisciplinary approach to psychology has allowed him to help his patients achieve higher wellbeing and begin to truly thrive, because his work fosters their personal and professional development through enhanced cognitive performance.
CPD and Accreditation
- 15 CPD Hours Non-APS CPD event
- 15 CPD Hours Non-Accredited – MHSW and AASW CPD event
- 15 CPD Hours NON-RANZCP accredited CPD event
This activity can be self-reported under Section 4.1 of the RANZCP Continuing Professional Development program. The credit would be the number of hours of the course.
- 15 CPD Hours Non-Accredited CPD event
Proudly Recognised by
Mind Medicine Institute’s Certificate in Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies is endorsed as professional development training by the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM), Australasian Society of Lifestyle Medicine, College of Mental Health Nurses, and is recognised as professional development and training for qualified members of the Australian Association of Psychologists Inc, Psychotherapy and Counselling Institute of Australia (PACFA) and the Australian & New Zealand College of Cannabinoid Practitioners. It may also form the basis of individual professional development and training plans. All our training courses and events can also be used to claim ongoing Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points in Australia through professional colleges (e.g. through the Australian Psychological Society, RANZCP, RACGP…).
Please check with your professional membership body for the appropriate category and number of points.